Monday, October 8, 2012

Dinner Double Duty

So, I've been working on my frugal factor by only grocery shopping once a month. So far, I have been able to keep my budget at around $400-450 PER MONTH!! That includes anything bought at Walmart or Sams (like TP), and also going to the bread store(I get 2-3 loaves of honey wheat, 2 HD buns, and some sort of rolls-to freeze) . I hope to blog on those subjects at a later time... Right now I'm just going to talk about tonight's dinner.

I had a long day ahead, so I put beef stew in the crock pot. Last month at Food Lion I had found steak on sale, so I chopped it up for stew meat and froze it. Frozen meat in a crock pot with 5 chopped peeled potatoes, chopped celery, onions and carrots from the freezer as well. I put about 3-4 cups of water, a packet of brown gravy mix and two beef boullion cubes. YUMMY!!

To stretch this meal even farther I make rice to go along with it. Today I cooked four cups of rice. I filled two quart-sized ziploc with rice to freeze. A 5-pound bag of rice was $2.98 and I still have about 8 more cups from that bag to cook up and freeze. So that 5-lb bag should give me enough for 12 meals!

I also cooked up a dozen muffins for tomorrow's breakfast and made some blueberry yogurt smoothie popsicles. Preparation is key:)

Now, what should I cook in the crockpot tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment