Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Ode to Ground Beef

It's really going to bug me to not be able to post pics, but here goes...

So many people have been asking about my once-a-month grocery shopping that I thought I'd post a little something that saves me TONS of time. Ground beef: one of the most versatile staples in my house. I usually make about 7 or 8 meals a month that include it, and I am not going to wrestle with a block of frozen raw meat in a pan when I'm already cooking other stuff.

 When I buy GB, it's because it's on sale! I'll buy the largest package they offer. When I get it home I plop the whole shebang in my extra-large skillet, cook it all up, then drain (and sometimes rinse if it is high in fat). Once it's cooled down enough I package it all up in around 1/2 lb baggies. I purposely vary a bit with each bag since they're used for so many different meals.

My best tip to you? Whatever you're freezing, freeze as flat as possible. So, if you puree something, bag it and flatten it to freeze. Once it's frozen you can store in a container. This saves so much space! I have freezer boxes like you store ice in, and all my GB goes in one of those--all nice and lined up:) I have shoe box that my sides go in like beans or rice. Any old container will do.

What shall I do with all that time I saved? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment