Saturday, April 16, 2011

Food for thought

Every paycheck (every other week), I make a list for the next two weeks of meals.  I've recently required inspiration via cookbooks to dig out of my apparent monotony.  The good news: two new recipes to try in the next 14 days...bad news: my fam is rather picky, so it is really difficult to find new recipes that the majority will appreciate. 

I'm sure you can relate on some level to my pain.  I look over my list of 12 dinner meals and realize that all but three of the meals I have planned will be unliked by someone.  And yes, I only plan 12 because, inevitably, I will not cook for at least two meals.  I leave some room for leftovers or nights we eat out.  Even then, I probably won't cook all 12.  I HATE cooking on the weekends, and since I work on Fridays, I don't usually like to do my marathon "cooking and preparation" that I do during the week.  I need to fix that:)

So now I make my grocery list--on the same paper--according to the meals I have planned.  I can easily go down the list and add ingredients I need for each meal.  I have a special section reserved for Sam's Club.  Thank you Greg for usually tackling that one!!

The kids are out of school for Spring Break next week--yay!!  I'm planning to try to make homemade Vanilla Wafer cookies with them.  We'll also be making Sourdough bread and Banana bread. Yummy.  Hopefully I'll remember where my waffle iron is so we can make those with some strawberries and homemade whipped cream:)  Maybe I'll show them how butter is made with the leftover cream--Science class?  We'll roll chunks of chicken in some Shake'n'Bake to make our own nuggets for lunch.  I'm sure we'll come up with more fun food...

What do you like to cook that pleases everyone?

1 comment: