Friday, July 15, 2011

Perspective and Priorities

I got to talking to a friend the yesterday about what we do for others.  Apparently, not enough.  I can't help but remember a time when I was super-involved in church.  Making dinners for other families, giving a ride here and there to another member, visiting the nursing homes.  Then we started homeschooling and things slowed down a bit.  When I put the kids in school (after many stomach problems made it difficult to multi-task) I thought I would have more time to volunteer...yeah, right. 

I yearn to be that giving again.  But working part-time but on-call full-time, mixed with the kids being older and needing to go, go, go...I can barely keep my head on straight.  I feel accomplished when I balance the checkbook these days;)  Perspective, I guess.

I miss those Preschool days of long naps and crayons and singing lullabyes.  The kids loved to talk to me and kiss and hug.  They still do their obligatory amount of loving on me, but it's not the same.  I guess my job of preparing them for the "independent" future is what's the priority now. 

Perhaps the days of giving to outsiders slowed down as the necessity of giving to my own household took over.  Food for thought...

I guess the question is, Will I look back on this time in regret over not being generous to others, or pride that I served my family?

No comments:

Post a Comment